Here’s What You Need to Know about RORO Shipping
Making a decision on the best type of shipping option for vehicles can be tricky. At the back of your mind are the safety of the cargo and the affordability of the transportation method you choose. Luckily, advances in freight technology now provide more effective transportation for vehicular cargo or any other wheeled cargo. Roll-on/roll-off (RORO shipping) has revolutionized vehicle transportation and if you have been struggling to transport your cargo, it is time to learn what RORO shipping companies and specialized freight forwarders have to offer.
What is RORO Shipping?
RORO is an acronym for Roll-on/roll-off, a transportation alternative dating back to the 1800s. This is an innovative alternative to containers which have been popular in the transportation of wheeled products over oceans. Roll-on/roll-off combines ground and sea transport by creating a ramp that allows cars to be driven into the ship and rolled off at their destination. According to the IMO (International Maritime Organization), “roll-on/roll-off ship is one of the most successful types operating today“.
The cars are secured to other cars inside the cargo deck of the ship until they reach their destination where they are rolled off a ramp on the other end. The other alternatives to shipping automobiles internationally would be through containers or air shipping.
The Firth of Forth ferry in Scotland is regarded as the earliest example of RORO vessels and it was used to transport trains too wide for bridges. A rail would be connected to the ramp and the train would easily roll out and continue transit. Different RORO vessels exist including Pure Car carriers (PPCs), Pure Truck & Car Carriers (PCTC), and barges among others.
What are the Advantages of Roll-On Roll-Off?
More shippers are contracting RORO shipping companies and it is obvious that there are some inherent benefits they are enjoying. Below are some of the advantages of using an RORO vessel to transport automobiles:
- Speed: For the shipper, it is easier and faster to load and offload cargo and in transit, every minute saved translates into thousands of dollars. Faster delivery of cargo makes all the difference and you can build customer loyalty by enhancing customer satisfaction.
- Safety: The cars are secured to the decks away from extreme weather elements and this reduces any chances of damage.
- Cost-savings: This is the cheapest international shipping method. Exclusive containers are expensive, especially for shippers transporting one unit. Whether you have one unit or thousands of automobiles to transport, you will save lots of money by using an RORO ship. What’s more, everything is handled by port workers and you don’t have to worry about warehousing costs, container parking and delivery and these cut on shipping costs.
- Convenience: For shippers who are travelling, there is more convenience as they can drive the car immediately it gets to the destination. There is minimal preparation before and after shipping. It is also easier to include spare tires and factory-fitted accessories.
- Flexibility: Whether you are transporting a truck, sedan, heavy duty tractor, or folk lifts, you can still use RORO shipping.
Shipping can be arranged from various international ports and destinations are flexible to suit your business needs. Talk to an established international cargo company today and enjoy hassle-free automobile shipping.